Washington State Clinical Health Care Investigator (DOH3757) in Tumwater, Washington
Clinical Health Care Investigator
About the Position and MQAC
The Medical Quality Assurance Commission (MQAC) conducts complex standard of care investigations of allopathic physicians and physician assistants in cases of alleged patient harm, practitioner impairment or other unprofessional conduct under the laws administered by the Medical Commission. This Clinical Health Care Investigator conducts highly complex clinical investigations and compliance audits of active medical practices for the Commission in order to ensure the standard of care has been met and practitioners are in compliance with disciplinary orders.
This is a full-time permanent Clinical Health Care Investigator (CHCI) position. This recruitment may be used to fill other CHCI positions within MQAC.
To learn more about MQAC, visit http://www.doh.wa.gov/LicensesPermitsandCertificates/MedicalCommission
About DOH and our Employer of Choice Initiatives
Washington State Department of Health (DOH) works with federal, state, tribal, and local partners to help people in Washington stay healthy and safe. Our programs and services help prevent illness and injury, promote healthy places to live and work, provide education to help people make good health decisions and ensure our state is prepared for emergencies. To learn more about the agency, visit DOH and DOH Infographic.
DOH is a great place to work and has implemented several "Employer of Choice" initiatives, including:
- We are committed to diversity and inclusion. DOH fosters an inclusive environment that encourages all employees to bring their authentic selves to work each day. We strive to hire, develop, and retain a competent and diverse workforce that is reflective of the customers we serve.
- We have an engaging Wellness@Health program which offers programs that support healthy behaviors and work/life balance. Our program provides wellness education, access to healthy food, physical activity classes, stress relief, and many other resources to support a healthy you.
- We support a healthy work/life balance by offering flexible/alternative work schedules, and mobile and telework options. (Depending upon job duties.)
- We are making exciting steps towards modernizing our workplace by providing motivating and inspiring workspaces that promote creative thought, innovation, and collaboration among co-workers. (Click to take the DOH Workplace Modernization Virtual Tour.)
- We have an Infant at Work Program that is based on the long-term health values of breastfeeding newborns and infant-parent bonding. Eligible employees who are new mothers, fathers, or legal guardians can bring their infant (6 weeks to 6 months) when returning to work. (Click to view KING 5's Drew Mikkelsen reports on the Infant at Work program.)
What will you be doing? – Duties include:
- Investigate complex clinical complaints.
- Review the complaint and information contained in the file, and formulate an investigative plan to include a review of all pertinent medical records, peer review documents and other pertinent patient information.
- Generate written investigative report to communicate findings that may highlight substandard care for further review and decision by the reviewing commission member.
- Conduct complex technical practice reviews, standard of care audits and compliance practice reviews that require an understanding of the standard of care, medical terminology, pharmacology, medical billing, and health care procedures particular to the practice of physician and physician assistants, both in the clinic and hospital setting.
- Track and log work activities using DOH and Commission databases to include timekeeping, complaint tracking, and spread sheets formulated for Commission investigations.
- Conduct and participate in multi divisional and multi-agency investigations regarding varied health care related issues involving physicians and physician assistants.
- Provide clinical support for requests on information regarding the complaint and disciplinary process.
What we're looking for:
The ideal candidate will be inquisitive, empathetic, professional, innovative, computer savvy, seasoned investigator and able to multi task.
And, have the following REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: (NOTE: Experience may have been gained concurrently.)
- Must hold an active license or be eligible to receive a license in one of the following professions: allopathic or osteopathic physician (MD or DO), physician assistant (PA or PA-C), registered nurse (RN), or advanced registered nurse practitioner (ARNP).
- Five (5) or more years (full-time equivalency) of professional health care experience in a clinical setting as an allopathic or osteopathic physician (MD or DO), physician assistant (PA or PA-C), registered nurse (RN), or advanced registered nurse practitioner (ARNP).
SPECIAL NOTE: As a Condition of Employment/Working Condition, incumbent must be willing and able to undergo and pass a criminal history background check prior to employment and every 5 years thereafter.
Preference may be given to candidates who have the following DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS: (NOTE: Experience may have been gained concurrently.)
- Demonstrated experience in the following:
- Conducting investigations regarding patient safety or other issues relating to patient care, including drug diversion, prescribing habits, disruptive physician behavior and medical errors. Interviewing skills with the ability to extract key medical information to further the investigation.
- Understanding the investigative process and the importance of gathering evidence in an impartial, yet thorough manner.
- Using a computer for word processing.
- Inputting data into databases related to work activities.
- Communicating verbally and in writing with others.
Conditions of Employment/Working Conditions
With or without an accommodation, I am:
- Willing and able to undergo and pass a criminal history background check prior to employment and every 5 years thereafter.
- Willing and able to work in an open cubicle environment.
- Willing and able to work a 40 hour work week, Monday through Friday. A flex/alternative schedule may be considered upon request and supervisory approval.
- Willing and able to legally operate a state or privately owned vehicle or provide alternative transportation.
- Willing and able to travel to attend Commission meetings and training, provide back-up for the supervising investigator or Director of Investigations, and support the Commission as needed. This position requires occasional overnight travel statewide to perform field investigations.
- Willing and able to interact and work with Commission staff, complainants, witnesses, respondents, hospital and clinical staff, attorneys and the public in a positive, friendly and supportive manner that meets the needs and standards of the office and the agency.
Note: This position is covered by an "Agency Shop" provision. Therefore, as a condition of employment, the incumbent of this position must either join the union and pay union dues, or pay the union a representational or other fee within 30 days of the date you are placed into pay status.
The Washington State Department of Health (DOH) is an equal opportunity employer. DOH strives to create a working environment that is inclusive and respectful. It is our policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of our workforce. Applicants wishing assistance or alternative formats in the process should contact Cher Williams at (360) 236-4545, Cher.Williams@doh.wa.gov or TDD Relay at 1-800-833-6384 or 7-1-1.
Individuals interested in applying for this position should select the "Apply" button and submit the following:
- A current detailed applicant profile; AND attach your detailed Letter of Interest that addresses the "Required and Desired Qualifications" (as listed above) and Resume to your profile.
- Three (3) or more professional references, to be included in your profile. Please include at least one supervisor, peer, and (if you have supervised other staff) a subordinate.
- Responses to the Supplemental Questions.
IMPORTANT: _DO NOT attach transcripts OR other documents that are not requested in the Application Process, or that are password protected. These type of documents cause errors when downloading application materials and will not be forwarded to the hiring supervisor. VETERANS_, please feel free to attach a copy of your DD214.
Click here to SUBSCRIBE to Jobs at DOH
* Important information regarding the Application Process and the Supplemental Questions
Only applicants who follow the directions and complete the Application Process and Supplemental Questions in-full will have their responses reviewed for consideration.
NOTE: Education and experience selected, listed and/or detailed in the Supplemental Questions must be verifiable on the detailed applicant profile submitted.
Salary: $6,198.00 - $8,543.00 Monthly
Location: Thurston County – Tumwater, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Health
Job Number: DOH3757
Closing: 8/27/2017 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact